You could spend a fortune getting your house perfect to sell, but for most people that's not an option. Here are a few low-cost staging ideas to help your home show its best for pictures and showings...
- Repaint dark or bright colored rooms with softer, neutral tones. Light colored trim shows best. Pay attention to detail – sloppy paint jobs can be worse than offensive colors.
- Get rid of everything on the kitchen counters, including appliances, except for the coffee maker.
- Remove as much as you can from closets and reorganize so that they look spacious and neat.
- Clean out clutter from shelves, leaving only a few small items on each shelf. Box up collections, personal photos, and oversized books.
- Hire a cleaning service if necessary to make the house spotless. Scrub floors, walls, windows, woodwork, and baseboards. Don’t forget the microwave, oven, and refrigerator.
- Focus on the feature rooms, the living, dining, and master bedrooms. Additional bedrooms are best left empty or minimally furnished.
- Arrange the furniture to show off each room’s best features. Less is more.
- Set the dining-room table with napkins, plates, and flatware.
- Put fresh flowers out on the table and planters with seasonal flowers at the entry.
- Purchase a subtle, pleasant plug-in air freshener, especially if you have pets.
- Store garbage cans and pet supplies out of sight.
- Turn on soft instrumental music, preferably classical or jazz, for showings.